Even though the fire in 1954 caused severe damage in the Grand Bazaar, it did not destroy the main elements of the Bazaar’s architecture. The main factor that turned the Bazaar’s older lines upside down and turned it to the way it is today is 1894 earthquake which was called the “little doomsday”. While a hundred and thirty five tradesmen and employees were killed in the earthquake that happeded during the day on July 10th, it also caused big collapses in the structure and drastic changes were made in the architecture of the Bazaar during the restorations. In addition to many other documents, we are able to eletermine this from the two documents in the book called “İstanbul Earthquakes” by Mehmet Genç ve Mehmet Mazak, which was published by İGDAŞ, an organization of İstanbul City Hall, and we are able to have a concrete idea of the severity of this earthquake by looking at the images in the same book. According to these documents, the government required re-building the Grand Bazaar by using the latest technology and plainly this decision was applied. According to the book, The Grand Bazaar is on a loose ground. That is the reason of the collapses and deaths in the Grand Bazaar during the 1894 earthquake. But, there is unbelievable information in the sentence that connects 45th page to the 46th of this book: “The seetion where the Grand Bazaar is was filled with soil that was taken out while they were digging the foundation for the construction of Beyazıt and Nuıuosmaniye Mosques.” The two following sentences explain what this one means: “The Bazaar sits on a loose ground.
This loose ground played a big role on the severe damage caused by the earthquake.” The constı·uction of Beyazıt Mosque was finished in 1506. As far as is known, after the conquest, Mehmet the Conqueror started the construction of the Bazaar (1461); he first built Cevahir, then Sandal Bedestans and in time the Bazaar expanded around these two. Hence, it is possible that the ground of the Grand Bazaar, which sits on the valley between the second and the third of the seven hills in İstanbul, was filled (even if it is partially) with the soil that was taken out from the foundation during the constıuction of Beyazıt Mosque. However, the possibility of the stuff that was taken out from the foundation of Nuıuosmaniye mosque, which was finished in 1755, being used for the ground of the Grand Bazaar is remote since the Bazaar was mostly constıucted at the time. In the end, the assertian in the discussed book is in question, and it has to be supported by solid proof. But this assertian has to be taken seriously; because it is stated in a book published by İGDAŞ which is a serious organization of metropolitan municipality and bears responsibility. If this assertian is trı.ıe- the primary responsibility of figuring out whether it is or not is İGDAŞ’s- immediate precautions has to be taken. Now, let’s read together the paıt about the Grand Bazaar from the book.