l.In order to ensure the safety, development and order of the Grand Bazaar, which is one of our unique histarical heritage, The Grand Bazaar Development and Preservation Foundation was established.
2. The honorable founders of the previous organization that was established in April 17, 1922 0336 in the Muslim Calendar) are listed below, and their rights are stil! preserved.
1. Fabric seller Sir Mehmet Şakir Dede
2. Antiquarian Sir Abdullah Şalabi,
3. Jeweler Sir Nasip Cezveciyan,
4. Shoe seller Sir Hacı Mehmet Şerif,
5. Carpet seller Sir Ömer Mümtaz,
6. Leather dealer Mr.Necipzade Mehmet,
7. Retired military officer Mr. Mustafa,
8. Mr. Hacı Osman Efendizade Hüseyin, Yağlıkçı (business of selling items related to marital ceremonies, )
9. Quilt seller Mr. Rıza,
10. Drapery Seller Mr. Mehmet Ziya,
ll. Shoe Seller Sir Manolaki,
12. Women’s apparel seller Mr. Celali,
13. Leather dealer Sir Rapael,
14. Jeweler and clock seller Sir Garipyan,
15. Shirt seller Sir Hafız Burhan,
16. Shirt seller Mr. Halit,
17. Scarf seller Sir Hafız Şükrü,
18. Leather goods seller Mr. Ali Sırrı,
19. Women’s apparel seller, Sir Yusuf
20. Slippers seller Sir Mustafa
21. Towel and undergarment seller Kasapıade Sir Mustafa
The Objectives :
3. According to the first article: a. To provide internal and external safety and order of the Bazaar, and do the maintenance. b. To manage the safety and the continuity of the night guards according to the old traditions and laws. c. To help the tradesmen who pay their dues they commitred regularly. d. To reconcile the conflicts between parties, who come to the assodation voluntarily, for the best, infarın them about the decisions and make sure that all of the given orders are being obeyed. 4. This organizations will never involve in politics
The General Assembly Ans It’s Duties :
5. All the tradesmen and craftsmen who are older than eighteen years old, are the natural and permanent members of the Foundation and constitute the General Assembly.
6. The general assembly meets in the beginning of eveıy other year upon the request of the Board, in order to determine the new board members, and evaluate the activities of the previous board. It can alsa meet in The board, if the duty term ends, has to be in charge until the new board members are chosen extraordinaıy situations upon the request of the Board.
7. The meeting request for the general assembly is to be sent 15 days prior to the meeting date..The attendants of this meeting will exclusively represent the member of the assembly.
The Board And It’s Duties :
8. According to aıticle 6, eveıy other year, the twelve member of the Board are determined by the seeret votes of the members of assembly. The board members are called the active members. The director, the assistant elirector and the bookkeeper is cl10sen among the board members. Their service is voluntary. Eveıy six months, the director is chosen by the board members by seeret voting. Other than these, the ones who had same votes are cl10sen as substitution members, who will be put in charge if a board member leaves.
9. The board has a right to hire a secretary or an assistant to use for correspondences and other cluties in the association.
10. The boarcl members have to be tradesmen who are at least twenty years old with no criminal records anel known bad manners. They have to be Turkish citizens, and be able to reacl, write anel speak Turkish.
ll. The boarcl meets once a week to cliscuss anel solve the problems mentioneel above, make clecisions and put those clecisions into practice. A miniınum attendance of four members is compulsoıy, along with the attendance of the elirector or the assistant director. If neither the elirector nor the assistant elirector is available, then the members choose a temporaıy elirector among themselves. The elirector or the assistant elirector has to artenel the law suits concerning the Bazaar. A board member, who fails to attencl the meetings for consecutive five weeks with no excuse, will be consiclerecl as if he/she resignecl.
12. The bookkeeper monitors the officers who are in charge of keeping the records of expenses, incomes, the registries, and the clecisions of the Boarcl. He alsa informs the Boarcl about the results of his monitorings.
13. Uncler the authority of the Boaı·cl, there will be an official seal nameel “The Grancl Bazaar Development Protection and Embellishment Association”. This official seal will be only be valid with the signatures of the director and the assistant director.
The Income And The Expenses :
14. An identification card is given to the registerecl members in return of a donation, which should not exceed 50 kurus in a month. These donations will first be usecl for the essential needs of the Association, then, if any money remains, it can be usecl for the cleaning, arrangements, lightening, fountains, fire hyclrants anel their paıts, restrooms, water canals, sewer canals, ete. anel for the maintenance and improvement of any necessaıy tools anel facilities for people’s benefits.
15. These regulations are subject to change by the consent of the general assembly. 16. This set of regulations are in accordance with the aleler set ciared 17 April 1922 0336) .. These regulations, which consist of sixteen articles, are in accordance with the law.
Among the regulations of the Grand Bazaar, only the one dated 1939 is available in the Beyazıt Public Library. There might be other regulations in the Ottoman documents seetion of the library. I am quoting the entire set of regulations including the name s and the addresses of the founders.